Role: Parish Administrator
Reporting to: The Parish Priest
Part time, Permanent: based at Our Lady & St Peters Parish Office East Grinstead.
Salary: £12 per hour (12 hours across 3 mornings per week – may increase as role develops)
Interviews: Monday, 3rd July.
For more details, or to apply, please email your CV to Father Jack
The Parish Administrator plays a pivotal role in assisting the Parish Priest and a team of volunteers in the running and development of the OLSP Parish (OLSP and St Bernards Churches).
The Parish Administrator will often be the first point of contact people have with the Parish, manage the Parish Office (based in East Grinstead) and provide administrative support to the Parish Priest and Parish Finance Committee as required.
The role will be based in the Parish Office at OLSP premises in East Grinstead. As the Administrators experience and the role develops, some home working may be possible.
The post reports to the Parish Priest but day-to-day support will be given to the relevant members of the committees.
Hours of work: Initially a minimum of 12 hours across 3 mornings over a normal week. This may increase as the role develops.
Salary: £12 per hour.
- Be the first point of contact for any enquiries that come to the Parish, and ensure that
appropriate action is taken to follow up these enquiries.
- Complete all administrative tasks for the Priest and key partners, including incoming and
outgoing mail management, ordering stock, photocopying, printing, filing and archiving and
administration for weddings, baptisms and funerals.
- Manage and assist with the marketing of Parish events.
- Manage and update Church databases as appropriate.
- Assist Parish Cashier in delegated finance duties (see Finance below)
- Maintain parish registers.
- Being familiar with the online accounts packages. The Diocese uses ‘Accounts IQ’. Full
training to be given if required. The role also involves offering support and assistance to the
Parish Cashier as required with the use of these programmes.
- Making payments against invoices as delegated by Parish Cashier.
- Preparing cash for banking as delegated by Parish Cashier.
- Collate receipts of cheques as delegated by Parish Cashier.
- Provide financial data as required for the Parish Finance Committee.
- Maintain a log of contacts and services.
- Maintain records of key-holders and key safe code holders, as well as issuing and reclaiming
keys as required.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- To be in sympathy with the mission of the Catholic Church.
- Good IT skills including using Microsoft 365
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a friendly telephone manner.
- Previous administrative experience
- Ability to work unsupervised, handle multiple tasks and work to deadlines
- Methodical approach to processing information and filing.
- Ability to prioritise and to solve problems.
- Efficient and well organised.
- Willing to learn and adopt new skills, and to be flexible and adaptable.
- Friendly, sensitive and relaxed manner in dealing with wide variety of people.
- Tactful, discreet, honest, courteous and able to maintain appropriate confidentiality.
- Able to work as part of a team but also on own initiative.